As part of the TUV SUD Functional Safety Certification Program, =Method offer the Functional Safety for Safety Related Systems Professionals training course. The course is universally recognised as the essential qualification for professionals and engineers working either as a manufacturer of products that need to meet the design requirements of IEC 61508, or for those designers, end users and systems integrators working Process and Power industries. The course provides an overview of the entire IEC 61508 lifecycle and details how key aspects such as Verification, Validation, Functional Safety Assessments and Audits can be practically implemented. On the 4th day, a Workshop is provided, specifically for those candidates whose roles involve product (hardware and software) development to IEC 61508. On successful completion of the course and the examination, candidates that can demonstrate the reqired level of experience will achieve the “TUV Functional Safety Professional” award. Certification takes place in cooperation with TUV SUD.
The Course is structured over 4 days of class room training, followed by a 4-hour exam on the 4th day.
- Functional safety management
Hazard & Risk Analysis
- Life cycle concept, documentation requirements, verification, validation, assessments and audits, modifications
Planning the safety system
- Hazard identification, hazard analysis, risk reduction, safety function definition using FTA, HAZOP, LOPA, Risk Matrix, Risk Graph
- Planning for end users, integrators, and realisation of safety systems, safety plan, verification plan, validation plan, safety requirement specification, requirements for suppliers, FAT, SAT
- Hardware lifecycle, energise vs de-energise, low demand, high demand and continuous mode, redundancy, diversity, hardware fault tolerance, safe failure fraction, type A/B, architectural constraints, proof testing, diagnostic tests, measures to avoid and control failures
- Reliability modelling, FMEDA, failure data, PFD, PFS, SIL
Operation and maintenance
- Software lifecycle, embedded software, application software, utility software, fixed programming languages, limited variability languages, full variability languages, software architecture, V-model, measures to avoid failures
Product Development to IEC 61508
- Installation and commissioning, safety validation, operation, maintenance and repair, modification and retrofit, maintenance override
- The product development lifecycles
- Measures to control random hardware failures
- Measures to avoid systematic failures
Who should attend
Engineers and professionals who require a broad level of knowledge and may be responsible for functional safety, its principles and methods, within their workplace.
There are no formal pre-requisites to start the training course - we assume no prior knowledge, but of course experience of Functional Safety in general and the IEC 61508 standard is advantageous.
To achieve TUV FSP status, you must attend the course, pass the exam and demonstrate the correct number of years of relevant experience, which are:
- 6 years experience in the applicable industry
- Education gives credits:
- Bachelor degree deduct 2 years
- Masters degree deduct 3 years
- Ph.D. degree deduct 4 years
- Two references and comprehensive CV must also be submitted prior to attending the course.
After this training course you will be able to
Communicate the essential elements of functional safety to your colleagues, management and peers in industry
- Apply functional safety management
- Understand and play a role in hazard and risk analysis
- Determine the required SIL with risk graph and matrix methodologies
- Understand how to verify and validate safety instrumented systems
- Understand the basic requirements of the functional safety standards
- Create basic designs of safety instrumented systems, taking into account architectural constraints
- Understand the effect of redundancy, diagnostics, proof test intervals, hardware fault tolerance on the SIL
- Understand the routes by which devices can be shown to be compliant.
- Understand the process for developing products to IEC 61508 in terms of hardware and software compliance
What you will get
All delegates receive:
- The course material in printed format
- A Certificate of Attendance or, upon successful completion of the exam, a TUV SUD Functional Safety Professional certificate and a listing on the TUV SUD website
- The TUV SUD certificate is valid for life
If this course is of interest we would welcome your enquiry to understand your requirements more fully or you can reserve a place on one of our courses.