As part of the TUV SUD Functional Safety Certification Programme, Method Functional Safety offer the TUV SUD Certified Training course and examination in IEC 61508.
The course is universally recognised as the essential qualification for professionals and engineers working either as a manufacturer of products that need to meet the design requirements of IEC 61508, or for those designers, end users and systems integrators working across a range of industries. The course provides an overview of the entire IEC 61508 lifecycle and details how key aspects such as Verification, Validation, Functional Safety Assessments and Audits can be practically implemented.
On successful completion of the course and the examination, delegates that can demonstrate the required level of experience will achieve either the “TUV Functional Safety Professional” or “Functional Safety Engineer” awards. Certification takes place in cooperation with TUV SUD.
The Course is delivered in-house only. It is structured over 3-days followed by a 3-hour exam on the 4th and final day.
The Course is delivered as 6 x 3 hours sessions (usually mornings) over a 2 week period.
Live Online Examination
TUV Certification requires taking a “closed book” examination. The delegate will therefore be required to attend an invigilated examination at a suitable venue in the weeks following the training.
As we are operating in unusual circumstances, we will take all the necessary precautions to keep our invigilators and yourselves as safe as possible and have introduced a number of new measures into our Standard Operating Procedures to mitigate the Covid-19 risks associated with the exam.
IEC 61508 Training: Introduction, definition of functional safety management and system analysis
Part 1 of IEC 61508 requires implementation of a FSM (Functional Safety Management) system to provide an organisational framework for the development and implementation of safety-related electronic systems. After an introduction to Functional Safety and general overview of the sector, the program presents the tasks and methods involved in safety management together with conceptual aspects. The main design criteria of standards and approaches for designing a functional concept and the associated system analysis are explained. The day concludes with an introduction to the requirements which must be fulfilled by Requirements Engineering.
The content of Day 1 is aimed at management executives, project managers, safety and QM managers and all staff involved in functional safety projects.
IEC 61508 Training: Development and evaluation of safety-related hardware
The module explains how mathematical and analytical methods can be applied to verify hardware designs fulfilling the requirements of IEC 61508 Part 2. A case study is used as the basis for a detailed explanation of the systematic approach to be used in analysis and the method of determining the necessary probabilistic safety parameters.
The content of Day 2 is aimed particularly at engineers responsible for hardware and software development, heads of functional safety projects and safety managers.
IEC 61508 Training: Development and evaluation of safety-related software
Part 3 of IEC 61508 presents methods, procedures, documentation and the software safety life cycle, which must all be taken into consideration in developing safety-related software. Practical examples are used to introduce the principles underlying the standard and the procedures for dealing with the requirements of this part of the standard.
The content of Day 3 is aimed particularly at users, operators and engineers responsible for software and hardware development, heads of functional safety projects and safety managers.
Who should attend
Management executives, project managers, safety and quality managers, individuals involved in functional safety projects, users and responsible operators in software and hardware development and safety managers
The criteria for TUV Certification is as follows:-
There are no formal pre-requisites to attend the training course but experience of Functional Safety in general and the IEC 61508 standard is advantageous.
A delegate can be awarded with a Functional Safety Professional (FSP) certificate if they
- Achieve at least 75% in the examination, having attended the full training course.
- Satisfy the experience / qualification criteria as recorded on the registration form (delegates who do not satisfy the experience / qualification requirements will be awarded the FSEng qualification).
- Can demonstrate 6 years’ experience in an applicable industry for which formal education gives credits as follows:
deduct 2-years for first degree e.g Bachelor,
deduct 3-years for Masters,
deduct 4-years for PhD.
- Provide 2 references as confirmation of relevant industry experience.
After this training course you will be able to
- Communicate the essential elements of functional safety to your colleagues, management and peers in industry.
- Apply functional safety management.
- Understand and play a role in hazard and risk analysis.
- Determine the required SIL with risk graph and matrix methodologies.
- Understand how to verify and validate safety instrumented systems.
- Understand the basic requirements of the functional safety standards.
- Create basic designs of safety instrumented systems, taking into account architectural constraints.
- Understand the effect of redundancy, diagnostics, proof test intervals, hardware fault tolerance on the SIL of the SIF.
- Understand the routes by which devices can be shown to be compliant.
- Understand the process for developing products to IEC 61508 in terms of hardware and software compliance.
What you will get
- The course material in printed format.
- A Certificate of Attendance.
- TUV Certification on successful completion of the programme and a listing on the TUV SUD website
- TUV SUD Certification is valid for life.
If you have any further questions, please contact us and if you wish to proceed, check your diary and reserve a place.
Check your diary and reserve a place
View all =Method courses
Search by course location:
Search by course:TUV Certified 61511 training SIL Verification and Calculation Workshop Functional Safety and SIL training for Instrument Technicians LOPA Workshop Hazard Study Workshop Cogent Process Safety Management Foundation Cyber Security Risk Management FREE Online Safety and Security Roadshow 2020 Functional Safety and SIL training for Operators An Introduction to Functional Safety